IT'S EASIEST, FASTEST, BEST WEEK! (WAIT, LITERALLY?) READ MORE »
🔕 🔔

I'm cooking carbonara this evening for some friends that have requested it, and I'm at a loss on a fun side dish. Any suggestions?

asked by Brian Ackroyd almost 5 years ago
32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

Try grilled IR roasted asparagus

164ae6cf b233 45ae a461 8d7543fae705  melissa mitchell

A pretty green salad? Roasted brussels sprouts? Herbed garlic bread? Not sure how fun these are, per se, but would probably be good with carbonara. Actually, now that I think of it, an old friend who has a killed carbonara recipe used to serve it with a raw mushroom salad. She'd slice the mushrooms really, really thinly (shaved them, basically), dressed them with lemon juice (a good amount), good olive oil, salt and pepper, and a little fresh parsley, and then shaved copious amounts of parmesan over it. It was really good, and I always thought that the earthiness of the mushrooms and the acidity of the lemon were a nice complement to the carbonara.

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

Carbonara is rich, so something raw and/or with a hint of bitterness. Radicchio is really good right now. You could get some escarole or castelfranco or any of the mellower varieties, and do a salad with radish and anchovies, something like this: http://food52.com/recipes.... Or you could do roasted radicchio with a more bitter variety.