🔕 🔔

Help! Caramels have crystalized - why?

Deep in candy making for a local fundraiser (so large quantities) and the caramels (that were then dipped in chocolate) have crystalized. Why? How do we avoid? Have successfully used this recipe many times but am wondering -- was it the Golden Syrup (mixed with corn syrup -- better overall flavor than just corn syrup)? Was it storage in a slightly humid basement closet (but all was tightly wrapped in plastic)? Or something else...???

asked by SeaJambon about 5 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'm suspicious it's the golden syrup. I don't think it's as inverted as the corn syrup (meaning there are more intact sucrose molecules in it, versus glucose and fructose molecules.) Table sugar is sucrose. When making caramels you want to add some other molecules to help prevent the sucrose molecules from forming a crystalline matrix. Options for doing this are adding corn syrup or adding an acid (lemon juice or cream of tartar for instance) to break the bonds between the glucose & fructose molecules in sucrose. I've made a lot of caramels w/o crystallization trouble by using both corn syrup and cream of tartar.

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

You had me at "crystalline matrix".... How did you get so smart about all this?!?! Is there some secret chemistry class I missed in school?

LOL! I did take a fair amount of chemisty, but mostly just did a lot of research while I was figuring out how to make caramels.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Great answer - thanks!! I think we're going to go 100% corn syrup from now one (and the crystalized caramels -- still tasty, just not "right") will go in the "oops! -- our goof/your luck!" 50% off grouping...