Just a question I had. I know that Italian 00 type flour is milled finer than regular flour. Is it possible to put All Purpose flour in your food processor or VitaMix and get an approximation of 00 type flour?

pierino November 8, 2010
I'll concur with all of the above responders, with just the comment that unless you are running a commercial bakery or pizzeria the difference is not worth bothering about. Although I do have a bag of 00 sitting here.

JSCooks November 8, 2010
I agree with the others -- the fineness is not the only quality that distinguishes 00, and flour can be a bit flighty when ground in a blender or food processor. If there is a specialty foods store in your area they may carry 00 flour. I've seen it several places around the Bay Area. Or try asking a bakery or pizza shop if you can purchase some from them.

RavensFeast November 8, 2010
Agree w/ Mr_Vittles, that would prob make a big mess ; ) You may just want to try subbing 1 part pastry flour + 3 parts all purpose flour. That's what Carol Field ("Italian Baker") suggests...

Mr_Vittles November 8, 2010
Sure you can put AP flour in a food processor of blender to get it finer. You'll probably make a big mess of your kitchen but its entirely possible. But another aspect of 00 flour is its lower protein level usually around 8 percent. This contributes to less gluten build up, and makes it ideal for pizza and pasta.