Do you have to use cake flour, or can I use all purpose flour in a recipe that specifies cake flour? Thanks food pickle peeps!!

asked by TiggyBee about 8 years ago

TiggyBee

Oops, that should be reversed...can I use cake flour instead of all purpose flour in a recipe that calls for all purpose flour. This is a case of not wanting to go to the store, if I can help it!!
: )

betteirene

When a recipe specifies cake flour and you only have AP, the substitution is one cup all-purpose flour, spooned into the cup and leveled with the flat edge of a knife, minus two tablespoons. When you have cake flour but need AP, it's one cup packed cake flour plus two tablespoons.

I've done both substitutions a lot, for cookies and yeast breads and quick breads, and it's always worked for me. Just don't come to depend on it and get lazy. (Do as I say, not as I do.)

Yes, just use 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of cake flour for every cup of AP flour called for. Cake flour is lighter, so you need to make up for that by increasing the volume. There. I saved you a trip to the store! ;o)

The difference is gluten content, so it depends on what you're making. Cake flour will give a more delicate crumb and tolerate more stirring. I would try it, possibly adapting the liquid for the right consistency.

TiggyBee

I'm making gnudi, so I will try the substitution method. Thanks for the info and for saving me a trip to the store!! Awesome as ever!! : )

That would be food pickle perps to you ma'am.

Mr_Vittles

There is a difference protein-wise, but if you make BetteIrene's substitutions there should not be a big difference. I would say that using the real stuff is better than making short cuts though.

I think that in gnudi, the finer texture of the cake flour would actually improve them. Do let us know, TiggyBee, how they turn out!! ;o)

TiggyBee

pierino, you crazy perp you!

TiggyBee

AntoniaJames, you were so right!!! There really was a favorable difference in the overall texture that I have to say, my hat tips in favor of the cake flour....who knew? : )

According to cooks illustrated you can make your own cake flour by mixing 2 Tbsp corn starch with 7/8 cup AP flour. (just put 2 T corn starch in 1 cup measure, and fill w/ AP flour.)