Author Notes: I like to make this when Im trying to be healthy. I make it at the weekend to take to work for lunch thoughout the week. It keeps well in a tupperware dish and can be eaten warm or cold. Ive also had it for dinner with roasted beetroot. Its quite versatile. Basil is a good sub for cilantro, red onion instead of scallion works well. I like to use "Sunblush" tomatoes but Im not sure if they are available ouside the UK, if not any kind of sundried tomato in olive oil is fine. —Jaynerly
Serves: 4-6 servings
ounces pearl barley
tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Zest of half a lemon
tablespoons lemon juice
tablespoons White wine vinegar
ounces Sundried tomatoes, chopped.
Small handful of Cilantro, chopped.
Small handful of arugula to serve
Salt & fresh ground Pepper to taste.
- Boil the barley until tender, approx 40 minutes.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar and honey.
- When the barley is tender, drain and place in a largish serving bowl. Pour over the dressing.
- Add the tomatoes, scallion and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Mix together and leave to let it cool.
- Serve either warm or (as I prefer) cooled, with arugula.