If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This side dish is super easy to make yet seems sophisticated. I created this recipe in an attempt to duplicate a delicious couscous Whole Foods had in their prepared foods section. I used this Food Network recipe to adapt from and made it healthier and vegetarian (also vegan!) by using whole wheat couscous, vegetable broth, and Earth Balance vegan butter. —thesinglebite
Makes 2 cups
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter (like Earth Balance)
- 1 small shallot
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup couscous (preferably whole wheat)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add chopped shallot and simmer for about 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to boil.
- Once boiling remove from heat and add couscous. Give it a quick stir and cover. Let it sit covered for 10 minutes.
- While it's sitting toast pine nuts. Put the pine nuts in a small pan and cook over low-medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, until the nuts are fragrant. Shake the pan around a few times too.
- Lastly, add the pine nuts and currants to the couscous and stir to combine everything.