Author Notes: This side dish is super easy to make yet seems sophisticated. I created this recipe in an attempt to duplicate a delicious couscous Whole Foods had in their prepared foods section. I used this Food Network recipe to adapt from and made it healthier and vegetarian (also vegan!) by using whole wheat couscous, vegetable broth, and Earth Balance vegan butter. —thesinglebite
Makes: 2 cups
teaspoons vegan butter (like Earth Balance)
cup low-sodium vegetable broth
cup couscous (preferably whole wheat)
cup pine nuts, toasted
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add chopped shallot and simmer for about 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to boil.
- Once boiling remove from heat and add couscous. Give it a quick stir and cover. Let it sit covered for 10 minutes.
- While it's sitting toast pine nuts. Put the pine nuts in a small pan and cook over low-medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, until the nuts are fragrant. Shake the pan around a few times too.
- Lastly, add the pine nuts and currants to the couscous and stir to combine everything.