Author Notes: This salad has complex flavors and beautiful color. It makes a great side dish or a filling main dish with the addition of roasted chicken or salmon. —Tishalu
Salad and Dressing
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 large garlic cloves
- 2 large shallots, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 10 cups arugula, endive, radicchio, and romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried cherries or cranberries
- 1 cup spiced pecans
- Roasted Garlic and Shallots Honey Mustard Dressing
- 8 ounces gorgonzola cheese, sliced
- Sliced pear (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place oil, garlic and shallots in a small crock or custard cup and top with foil. Bake until vegetables are soft and brown, about 45 minutes. Cool.
- Transfer garlic and shallots to a blender. Reserve the oil. Add honey, vinegar and mustard to the garlic and shallots and blend. With the blender running, add the reserved oil and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss lettuce, spiced pecans, and dried fruit with enough dressing to coat. Top with sliced cheese and garnish with sliced pears.
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups pecans
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Beat egg whites in bowl until foamy.
- Add sugar, spices and salt. Beat again until thick and opaque.
- Add pecans and stir until coated.
- Spread nuts in one layer on a baking sheet covered with a Silpat.
- Bake about 30 minutes until brown and toasty.
- Cool completely on the baking sheet. Store in and airtight container.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Salad