If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mom was a terrific cook . Raised as a sheltered Southern small town girl , once she left home and adapted to the life of a peripatetic Naval officer's wife, she embraced the world of International cooking with a passion. One of her (and our) favorite buffet dinners was a kind of American curried chicken Rijsttafel (popular at the time), where a creamed chicken curry over rice was topped with your choice of many condiments . She also used to make curry chicken pancakes for hors d'oeuvre, but they were rather simple compared to the many flavored buffet dish. In these pancakes, I have combined the two dishes to make moist and creamy entree pancakes filled with curried chicken,
cooked grains, toasted coconut , crunchy onion rings, raisins and green pepper. They would be equally at home as hors d'oeuvre but we enjoy having them for dinner, as a delightful and memory-filled excuse to use up leftover chicken and grains.
—LE BEC FIN
Makes about 50 2" pancakes
- 1/2 cup spelt flour or 'white whole wheat' flour
- 1/2 cup white AP flour or 'white whole wheat' flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup Madras curry powder (Sun brand is excellent)
- 2 teaspoons ground toasted cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground toasted coriander
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups plain yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 1/4 cup Major Grey's chutney**
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked short grain brown rice or cooked Trader Joe's Multigrain mix*
- 1/2 cup heated canned onion rings, lightly chopped
- 1 cup toasted sweetened coconut, lightly crushed
- 1/2 cup raisins, plumped in boiling water and drained
- 1/2 cup minced sweet green pepper
- optional 1 cup cooked lentils
- unsalted butter for cooking and service
- Sift together flour through baking powder.Add curry powder,cumin and coriander. In another bowl, whisk together egg through lemon juice; add ginger and chutney.Briefly combine contents of dry and wet bowls.Add chicken through green pepper. Stir til well combined but do not overstir.
- In a hot buttered skillet, cook 2" pancakes over medium high heat for a few minutes til bottom is browned and bubbles appear on the batter surface. Flip and finish cooking 5+ minutes til browned and firm.
- Arrange on a heat proof tray.Top pancakes with soft butter, and a dab of Major Grey's chutney.
- Note: * If you are using up leftover rice, sprinkle some water on it and microwave briefly to soften. Let cool a bit before adding to batter. **Cross and Blackwell's Major Grey's Chutney is available in most supermarkets.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory