Author Notes: A protein and iron packed salad that you'll want to make every day. —VeganSquid
Makes: 2 side salads
cup dried lentils
cup wild rice
cup prepared black beans (canned or re-hydrated)
cup diced sweet yellow onion or shallots
medium sized tabasco peppers or similar
cup apple cider vinegar
cup soy sauce
tablespoons tahina (tahini)
herbs and spices:
paprika, sage, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and parsley
In This Recipe
- Begin by bringing water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Add in rice and lentils and cook for about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Let sit for 10 minutes and then move on.
- In a large wok add apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, black beans, (1 tbsp) lemon juice, (1 tsp ea.) salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer. For better texture and flavour, add a bit of vegetable margarine.
- Once well combined, mix in the rice and lentils, and then add the onions and sliced tabasco peppers. You may find you want to turn the heat up a little and stir fry, that's fine! Just make sure to keep stirring.
- Once the sauce we made in the wok is mostly gone, add (1 tbsp) of your favorite oil and continue to mix until the onions have browned.
- Once onions have browned on the edges turn the heat off and drizzle tahina onto the lentils and rice. Add a bit more lemon juice for extra flavour. Stir well.
- In a large bowl add arugula together with the lentils and rice. Drizzle some extra oil and vinegar on top. Mix well and add to a smaller or salad bowl.
- Pack a nice layer of spinach onto the top of the bowl and compress it a little. This is going to give us a means to spear our food with forks and still pick up all of the ingredients.
- Place a plate, inverted, onto the bowl and invert the assembly, removing the bowl after. Garnish with parsley, sage, paprika, and black seasame seeds.
- As always I recommend adding nutritional yeast flakes but it isn't in the core of this recipe.