If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: All winter my favorite dish was "greens and beans." That general description allows for lots of variation, and we tried 'em all. For spring (and a hot day that felt like summer), I wanted a new, fresh salad that was substantial enough to stand up to grilled meat while still tasting light and bright. Kale, of course, is the miracle food of the moment (during a recent visit, a friend told me "every restaurant in Brooklyn has a kale salad"), and quinoa probably is too. Anyway, both offer earthy flavor with lots of protein and nutrients. —Brenda Adelson
Makes: approx 4 cups
handfuls baby Kale (or 1/2 of 7 oz package)
cup dry Quinoa, cooked (approx 2 cups cooked)
tablespoons extra virgin Olive Oil
Cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped (approx 1/2 cup)
juice and zest of one Lemon (wash and rinse lemon well), approx 4 tablespoons of juice and 1 teaspoons of zest
cup dried currants
cup shelled pistachios
sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- After cooking, allow quinoa to cool in cooking pot, with lid on, for 20-30 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
- Stack kale leaves together and roll up like a cigar, then slice thinly with a sharp knife ("chiffonade").
- Peel cucumber and remove seeds. Dice into 1/8 inch cubes.
- Combine kale, quinoa, and cucumber in a large non-reactive mixing bowl. Add currants and mix well.
- Add olive oil, zest the lemon over the bowl (to capture the essential oils), and add lemon juice. Add a large pinch of salt and grind pepper into the bowl.
- Mix well to combine all ingredients. The slightly warm quinoa will absorb the seasonings, and the warmth and lemon juice will slightly "cook" the kale. To serve a larger crowd, simply double or triple the recipe.
- PLEASE NOTE: When making this, I didn't measure. These measurements are approximations; however, you can add more or less of anything to suit your taste.
- Just before serving, sprinkle pistachios on top. Bon appetit!