- Serves 8-10
My goal was to create a couscous recipe that could be made in one pan and would be a great balance of whole grain carbs, healthy fats, lean protein and veggies. That is asking a whole lot, but I kinda made it happen! Not only does this dish have loads of flavor, it is a nice, light twist on the classic frittata recipe. I enjoy mine over a salad or with steamed veggies. You can use your favorite grated cheese to top this fritatta. I always like a strong flavored cheese, a little goes a long way without too adding too much fat. —Marla
Source Organic ingredients when possible
Shallot -or- 1 medium Onion, diced small
Garlic cloves, chopped small
Bell Peppers diced small (2 different colors are nice)
1 1/2 cups
splash Non Fat Milk
Thinly Sliced Prosciutto (trim fat)
Whole Wheat Couscous
1 to 1 1/2 cups
your favorite grated or crumbled Cheese (I used a Raw Milk Gruyere)
to taste: Black Pepper, dried Thyme, Salt
- Pre heat broiler with oven rack about 4 " from the top.
- Cook couscous according to package directions -or- add 1 cup couscous to 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Take off heat and let couscous sit for about 5 minutes and fluff with a fork. This will yield about 2 cups of fluffy couscous. Set aside.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large oven proof sauté pan on medium high heat. (It is easier to use a non-stick pan) Add shallots, garlic, thyme, some salt and pepper. Sauté until softened and fragrant.
- Add diced bell peppers, continue to sauté until peppers are soft. About 5 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites and milk. Add to sauté pan and briefly stir to combine with bell peppers and onions.
- Keep pan on medium high heat until eggs are mostly cooked through and they start to pull away from the edges of the pan. During cooking use a spatula to lift up the egg mixture so the uncooked portions can flow underneath.
- When eggs are mostly set and cooked through, evenly layer slices of Prosciutto on top of egg mixture. When the eggs are fully covered with Prosciutto, gently press on a layer of couscous on top. Evenly distribute cheese layer on top of couscous.
- Put pan under preheated broiler for about 7-10 minutes, until cheese is browned. Watch closely, and enjoy!
- Serve warm with steamed veggies or a side salad.