If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There's nothing like egg rolls made from scratch .. and these are no exception. Crisp, spicy, stuffed with meaty mushrooms & pork —VeggiesByCandlelight
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 pound oyster mushrooms, chopped (~ 1/2-inch sized pieces)
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps sliced (~ 1/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 pound remini mushrooms, chopped (~ 1/2 inch sized pieces)
- 2 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 plump lemongrass stalk, tender white inner bulb only, minced
- 1 red Thai chile, minced (** or 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes or cayenne pepper)
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon 1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (** or 1 tsp lemon juice)
- 10 thin egg roll or spring roll wrappers
- 1 large egg, beaten
Creamy Ginger Sauce
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt, plain
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped (** or 1 Tbsp dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 10 Boston lettuce leaves, halved
- In a small skillet, brown the ground pork
- PREPARE THE MUSHROOM FILLING
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add mushrooms, sherry, soy sauce, and season with salt & pepper.
- Cover .. and cook over medium heat, stirring a few times, until the mushrooms have released their liquid and are tender (~ 8-10 minutes)
- Uncover .. and cook 5 or 6 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until they're browned
- In a small skillet, heat 2 tsp olive oil. Add garlic, lemongrass, chile, shallots and 1 Tbsp ginger. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are golden brown, (~ 6-7) minutes.
- Add the lemon zest (or juice, if using), then stir the mixture into the mushrooms, along with the browned pork
- PREPARE THE CREAMY GINGER SAUCE
- In a blender, puree the greek yogurt, olive oil, tarragon, lime juice, vinegar and the remaining 1 1/2 tsp ginger, until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- ASSEMBLE AND BAKE THE EGG ROLLS
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on your work surface with one corner pointing at you. Add 2-3 tablespoons of filling into a 2×4-inch rectangle just below the horizontal diagonal line that connects the right and left corners. Take the corner nearest you and fold it over the filling, rolling it away from you so that the filling is completely encased in wrapper. Fold the right and left corners in toward the center, keeping it snug, but not so tight that the wrapper breaks, and continue rolling until you have 2-inches of the last corner left
- Paint the edges of the last corner with a bit of egg, then quickly roll up the egg roll. (this will help hold it together). Lightly brush the top of the roll with beaten egg. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until they're beginning to brown .. then flip them over and bake another 8-10 minutes.
- ** For added crispness .. put the egg rolls under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, checking every 20-30 seconds)
- Cut the rolls in half on the diagonal, wrap them in lettuce leaves and serve with the ginger sauce.