If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Brooke Williamson never received a formal culinary education, but that didn’t stop her from becoming the runner up on Season 10 of Top Chef in Seattle. Williamson began her cooking career as a teacher’s assistant at the Epicurean Institute of Los Angeles, gained experience working on both coasts, and went on to become the youngest woman to ever cook at the James Beard house. She now co-owns and is the co-executive chef of Playa Provisions in L.A. with her husband and fellow chef, Nick Roberts.
From Chef Williamson comes a kale salad perfect for a party -- it blends great flavor and presentation with minimal prep time. Two vinaigrettes are used to brighten the salad: The greens are tossed with a lemon vinaigrette and then placed over a beet vinaigrette, a perfect light start to any meal. —Top Chef
For the salad and lemon vinaigrette:
- 1 head curly kale, torn and de-stemmed
- 8 anchovy filets, julienned
- 6 large Brussels sprouts, outer leaves separated
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 filets of white anchovies, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the beet vinaigrette:
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1 medium red beet, cooked, peeled, and diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Toss the kale, anchovy filets, and brussels sprout leaves in a large bowl.
- To make the lemon vinaigrette, whisk together lemon juice, red wine vinegar, mustard, shallot, honey, olive oil, white anchovies, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- To make the beet vinaigrette, place all ingredients in blender except for the oil. Puree until smooth and slowly drizzle oil into the blender.
- Place the beet vinaigrette on the bottom of the plate. Toss greens with lemon vinaigrette and place a mound of salad on top of the beet vinaigrette. Garnish with kale chips if desired.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!