If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A simple and classic cold to room temperature sauteed salad I have been preparing for years. I learned this combination of flavors from famiglia who resides on the Southern Amalfi coast of Italia where the lemon and the olive trees are truly kissed by the sun. —cucina di mammina
Serves 2 to 3 servings or more
- 2 to 3 bunches of freshly picked spinach leaves & stems (ends trimmed and washed well to remove all dirt & sand)
- very good quality extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 large fresh lemon
- optional: olive oil-toasted rustic bread slices or chunks
- Wash and drain the spinach leaves and stems well (if the leaves are on the larger side, tear them into slightly smaller pieces.) In a medium skillet, add the spinach leaves and add about two to three tablespoons of water. Drizzle very lightly with some olive oil.
- Place on medium to low heat and sauté lightly just until the leaves wilt and the liquid is very warm and slightly bubbly. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- When ready to serve; place the sautéed spinach and all the remaining liquid into a serving bowl. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle a healthy dose of extra virgin olive oil and mix the spinach well, gently so as not to smash the leaves.
- Cut the fresh lemon in half and squeeze some of the fresh lemon juice into the spinach and mix well to coat. Grate some lemon zest over the top and serve immediately with plenty of olive oil toasted rustic bread to sop up all the juices.
- Note: This spinach dish is wonderful served with fresh grilled fish & seafood as well as with poultry and grilled meats. We add this to sandwiches too, but be sure to eat the whole amount as this dish does not keep (the lemon juice will turn the leaves brown and bitter overnight, so only dress the amount you wish to serve and store the remainder for another day.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Green Holiday Side