Author Notes: I like a meal in a bowl. This just sounded hearty for a drizzly winter day. —nannydeb
Serves 4 entree size portions
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable, chicken or beef broth. I made mine with the mushroom stems and celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring barley and broth to a boil. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 40 minutes or until tender. All of the water will not be absorbed.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add celery and cook 3 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic and cook another 3-5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes or until tender. Set mushroom mixture aside until barley is done.
- Add mushroom mixture, fresh thyme, salt and pepper to barley.
- Serve with some good crusty bread. The flavors are even better the next day.