Author Notes: Although you’d never guess from the fresh taste, this soup is made from standard freezer standbys, frozen peas and spinach supplemented with a few herbs, spices, a touch of sherry and a little cream. The subtle flavoring lends a gorgeous background note without overwhelming the delicate vegetables. It’s just enough to make you want to taste again and again while wondering “Just what is in this?”
Despite the cream, it is rather light, and best served with a few lightly sauteed croutons, perhaps as a first course, or with a grilled sandwich for a light lunch. You couldn't go wrong sipping it from a mug as a pick me up. This soup is quick & easy, and may be served warm or chilled.
This recipe was originally passed on to me by my Mother, although I've made a few changes over the years. —Frugal Hausfrau
small onion, roughly chopped
ounces frozen peas, 1 package, about 2 1/2 cups
ounces frozen spinach, 1 package
teaspoon dried tarragon
cups water, may need a little additonal when blending
tablespoons dry Sherry
cup cream or half & half if preferred
teaspoon curry powder
teaspoon salt, to taste
- In a large saucepan, add onion, peas, spinach (no need to drain liquid) and tarragon. Cover with water (May use a vegetable or chicken broth, if preferred.) (You may wish to start with 4 cups and add the remainder, if needed, during blending.) Bring to a simmer and simmer about 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and pour into blender. Blend well until smooth, working in batches if necessary. (Take care blending hot liquids, hold lid firmly with a kitchen towel as this is blended.) Wipe pan clean and return mixture to pan. Heat through, add Sherry, cream (or half and half) and curry powder. Taste for seasoning and add salt if desired. Warm through and turn off before the mixture comes to a boil. Taste and add salt if desired.
- Serve with desired garnish of your choice; croutons made by lightly sauteing cubes of bread in a little olive oil are nice. This may be served warm or cold.
- Note on the vegetables: Frozen packages may vary a bit in size, but any variances can be adjusted to get the right consistency after the cream is added by adding a bit more water (or broth, if using.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff