Using seasonal ingredients in an unconventional combination was the inspiration for this dish. A savory, sweet and cheesy tapa or main dish, this strudel highlights all the best of Spain (albeit the name!). Honey-marinated figs are grilled and paired with black olives and red onion, then spread on top of a Manchego and rosemary-layered filo dough and melty Cabra Romero then baked until golden. —Vegetarianized.com
- Makes 2 strudels
olive oil, divided
figs, stemmed and halved
rosemary stems, leaves stripped and finely chopped
medium red onions, cut into 1/4" slices
black olives, chopped
sheets filo dough, at room temperature
aged Manchego, grated
Cabra Romero (semi-soft goat cheese with a coating of rosemary), crumbled (sub Mahon aged less than one year or Romao)
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium heat and coat with 1 Tbsp olive oil. If using a grill, include a vegetable basket.
- Meanwhile gently toss together figs, honey, 2 Tbsp olive oil, equivalent of 2 chopped rosemary stems, pepper, and salt in a large bowl. Place figs, cut side down, on vegetable basket if using the grill or directly on the grill pan and grill 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and place back in bowl with marinade. Toss, let cool then cut once more into quarters.
- Put onion slices on grill where the figs were to soak up extra marinade. Grill 3-4 minutes per side. Remove and let cool. When cooled, chop coarsely and add onions and olives to figs. Toss gently.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray, and lay two sheets of filo dough on top. Brush the filo with 1 tsp olive oil and then sprinkle with about 1 Tbsp of the Manchego and equivalent of one stem of rosemary on top.
- Repeat twice more, then add a fourth set of two filo sheets on top. Brush with 1 tsp olive oil, and at one end spread fig mixture into a 4" rectangle. Sprinkle with Cabra Romero. Carefully roll up the strudel tucking it into itself and keeping the mixture inside. Lay seem side down, drizzle with remaining tsp olive oil and rosemary.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly and then slice for either tapa or entree portions.