If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Using seasonal ingredients in an unconventional combination was the inspiration for this dish. A savory, sweet and cheesy tapa or main dish, this strudel highlights all the best of Spain (albeit the name!). Honey-marinated figs are grilled and paired with black olives and red onion, then spread on top of a Manchego and rosemary-layered filo dough and melty Cabra Romero then baked until golden. —Vegetarianized.com
Makes: 2 strudels
tablespoons olive oil, divided
pounds figs, stemmed and halved
rosemary stems, leaves stripped and finely chopped
teaspoon black pepper
medium red onions, cut into 1/4" slices
ounces black olives, chopped
sheets filo dough, at room temperature
pound aged Manchego, grated
pound Cabra Romero (semi-soft goat cheese with a coating of rosemary), crumbled (sub Mahon aged less than one year or Romao)
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium heat and coat with 1 Tbsp olive oil. If using a grill, include a vegetable basket.
- Meanwhile gently toss together figs, honey, 2 Tbsp olive oil, equivalent of 2 chopped rosemary stems, pepper, and salt in a large bowl. Place figs, cut side down, on vegetable basket if using the grill or directly on the grill pan and grill 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and place back in bowl with marinade. Toss, let cool then cut once more into quarters.
- Put onion slices on grill where the figs were to soak up extra marinade. Grill 3-4 minutes per side. Remove and let cool. When cooled, chop coarsely and add onions and olives to figs. Toss gently.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray, and lay two sheets of filo dough on top. Brush the filo with 1 tsp olive oil and then sprinkle with about 1 Tbsp of the Manchego and equivalent of one stem of rosemary on top.
- Repeat twice more, then add a fourth set of two filo sheets on top. Brush with 1 tsp olive oil, and at one end spread fig mixture into a 4" rectangle. Sprinkle with Cabra Romero. Carefully roll up the strudel tucking it into itself and keeping the mixture inside. Lay seem side down, drizzle with remaining tsp olive oil and rosemary.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly and then slice for either tapa or entree portions.