Author Notes: Not a new concept, I know. My mother used to make this in the '70's with bacon, cider vinegar and sugar. She loved to try recipes and my father would say "Can't we just have NORMAL food?". My husband didn't eat this, but instead had a "normal" salad. —nannydeb
Serves: 4 as a side dish
tablespoons olive oil
cup red onion, sliced thin
1 to 2
garlic cloves, minced
tablespoons balsamic vinegar
bag baby spinach
cracked black pepper
tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- In a skillet, cook the pancetta in 1 tablespoon olive oil until crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside. Once cooled, chop into small pieces.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and warm over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are getting tender, about 2-3 mintues.
- Remove from heat and add honey and balsamic vinegar.
- Pour hot oil and vinegar mixture over fresh spinach, tossing while you pour.
- Top with cracked black pepper, pancetta and toasted pine nuts.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spinach Recipe