If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is characteristic of my whimsical mash-up cooking style and combines 4 concepts (open-faced tartine, slider, silver dollar pancake, and oatmeal porridge) with beet "burgers" and a fried egg. They turned out delicious —Sue O'Bryan
Makes 3 sliders
For Mini Oatmeal Pancakes
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted) or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- water and salt as needed
- Bring water and salt to boil, add rolled oats and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer 5 minutes, remove from heat and let stand at least 5 minutes.
- Add egg, flour, baking soda, 1 tablespoon butter or oil and enough water to thin mixture to the consistency of pancake mix. I used approximately 1/3 cup water.
- Heat remaining butter or oil in saucepan over medium high heat and either pour in three small dollops of batter or pour entire mixture into the pan and later "cut out" three small pancakes with a biscuit cutter. Cook for 1 minute then reduce heat to medium and cook 2 more minutes. Flip and cook for 3 minutes on the other side. Remove from heat and keep at room temperature or, if you wish, toast in the oven immediately before assembling.
Beet Burger & Toppings
- 1 large Beet
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 Celery heart, including leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Sherry Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon or yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice beet into 3 1/2 inch thick rounds and place in saucepan with water. Bring to boil. Lower heat to simmering and cook for 7 minutes. Off heat, cool beets in the water for at least 5 minutes, then drain and set on paper towel.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of butter or oil over medium high heat. Fry eggs until desired doneness.
- Combine remaining tablespoons of olive oil with sherry vinegar, mustard and shallot. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss with chopped celery heart and leaf.
- Assemble sliders: Top each pancake with one beet slice, one fried egg, and a few pinches of chopped celery heart/leaf. Add sriracha and salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe