If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A riff off a middle eastern classic: ground lamb stuffed zucchini boats. Using my "meat" of choice: dehydrated minced lentils and walnuts, a bevy of umami bombs, and a dairy-free labneh for creamy cool contrast. Double up the walnut mix and stir it into tacos, chili's, and lasagnas. —G
- 4 medium zucchini or summer squash, halved & flesh scooped out
- 1 cup cooked beluga lentils
- 1 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon marmite
- 1/4 cup dried shitake mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- olive oil cooking spray
- vegetable stock
- 1 cup unsalted raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons each minced parsley, and dill
- 6 ounces container unsweetened cultured coconut milk yogurt
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch finely chopped mint, finely chopped
- Puree cashews with the yogurt, lemon juice, half of the mint, 2 tbsp. each of the dill and parsley, Season with salt, and let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature. Chill until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place zucchini on a parchment lined baking sheet, flipped upside down. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove and let rest.
- Place cumin, allspice, cinnamon, tomato paste, and cocoa powder in a skillet with garlic and onion. Add in 1 cup vegetable stock and cook until translucent and beginning to stick. Deglaze pan with more stock, and cook until onions are caramelized. Place mushrooms in a food processor, grind into a fine powder. Add in lentils, onion mixture, and walnuts, and pulse until crumbly, resembling ground beef. In a skillet, add onion, tomato paste, cumin, cinnamon, and allspice with 1 cup vegetable stock or water. Fold in currants, stuff mixture into zucchini boats and spray with oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash