If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my favorite comfort food. Even though it's healthy, vegan, and gluten free, it is so hearty and filling. It warms me inside and out. I love it so much, I can't even resist making it in the middle of summer. —Laura Dembowski
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 head of garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 1 pound button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups packed kale leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat a large pot over medium high heat. Once hot add the oil. Allow to heat for 1 minute. Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms, and sauté 5-10 minutes, until the mushrooms are beginning to caramelize.
- Add the carrots and sauté a minute or two more. Add the stock and water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the quinoa. Cook for about 15 minutes, until the quinoa is tender. Add the kale and cook just until it starts to wilt. Season with pepper and salt.
- Serve immediately. Soup may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, until heated through.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for When You Want It to Feel Like Fall