This simple and delicious make-ahead breakfast dish is always a favorite! —garlic and zest
- Serves 6
crimini or button mushrooms, thinly sliced
fresh spinach or 1 box frozen, chopped spinach thawed
chopped sun-dried tomatoes
grated gruyere cheese + extra for sprinkling
parmesan cheese + extra for sprinkling
1 1/2 cups
cayenne pepper or more to taste
kosher salt, divided
stale italian or sourdough bread, crusts removed, cut into 1/2" cubes
In This Recipe
- In a non stick skillet with a lid, heat over medium high heat until pan is hot. Add sliced mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt to the skillet and stir once or twice. Put the lid on the pan and let the mushrooms give off their liquid for a minute. Continue to check the mushrooms and stir every 30 seconds or so until all of their liquid has been given up and mushrooms are slightly browned. Transfer the mushrooms to a medium bowl.
- If you're using fresh spinach Add the butter to the pan and saute the fresh spinach until it just wilts. Transfer the spinach to a fine mesh sieve and press on the spinach with the back of a spoon to squeeze out all the excess liquid. Chop the spinach on a cutting board then add it to the mushrooms
- If you're using frozen spinach Place spinach in a clean dish towel and squeeze out all the liquid and add it to the mushrooms.
- Toss the sun-dried tomatoes with the spinach and mushrooms, set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, garlic salt, black pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir in the cheeses.
- Spray a 4-5 cup casserole dish with nonstick spray. Add 1/3 of the bread cubes. Sprinkle with half of the vegetable mixture. Pour 1/3 of the egg and cheese mixture over the vegetables. Top with 1/3 of the bread cubes and the remaining half of the vegetables. Top with the remaining bread and pour the rest of the egg/cheese mixture evenly over the bread.
- Use your hands to press the bread lightly into the mixture to soak up the egg custard.
- Top with a sprinkling of gruyere and parmesan cheese. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Take the strata out of the refrigerator half an hour before you're ready to bake. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake strata for 45-50 minutes until puffed, browned and bubbly. Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving. This recipe can be doubled.