Author Notes: This simple and delicious make-ahead breakfast dish is always a favorite! —garlic and zest
ounces crimini or button mushrooms, thinly sliced
ounces fresh spinach or 1 box frozen, chopped spinach thawed
cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
cup grated gruyere cheese + extra for sprinkling
cup parmesan cheese + extra for sprinkling
teaspoon mustard powder
teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
teaspoon garlic salt
teaspoon black pepper
teaspoon kosher salt, divided
cups stale italian or sourdough bread, crusts removed, cut into 1/2" cubes
In This Recipe
- In a non stick skillet with a lid, heat over medium high heat until pan is hot. Add sliced mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt to the skillet and stir once or twice. Put the lid on the pan and let the mushrooms give off their liquid for a minute. Continue to check the mushrooms and stir every 30 seconds or so until all of their liquid has been given up and mushrooms are slightly browned. Transfer the mushrooms to a medium bowl.
- If you're using fresh spinach Add the butter to the pan and saute the fresh spinach until it just wilts. Transfer the spinach to a fine mesh sieve and press on the spinach with the back of a spoon to squeeze out all the excess liquid. Chop the spinach on a cutting board then add it to the mushrooms
- If you're using frozen spinach Place spinach in a clean dish towel and squeeze out all the liquid and add it to the mushrooms.
- Toss the sun-dried tomatoes with the spinach and mushrooms, set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, garlic salt, black pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir in the cheeses.
- Spray a 4-5 cup casserole dish with nonstick spray. Add 1/3 of the bread cubes. Sprinkle with half of the vegetable mixture. Pour 1/3 of the egg and cheese mixture over the vegetables. Top with 1/3 of the bread cubes and the remaining half of the vegetables. Top with the remaining bread and pour the rest of the egg/cheese mixture evenly over the bread.
- Use your hands to press the bread lightly into the mixture to soak up the egg custard.
- Top with a sprinkling of gruyere and parmesan cheese. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Take the strata out of the refrigerator half an hour before you're ready to bake. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake strata for 45-50 minutes until puffed, browned and bubbly. Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving. This recipe can be doubled.