If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe can be made in advance, it's easy to scale up and is a crowd puller. Prepare the tomato chutney even a week or two in advance, buy rest of the ingredients and throw this recipe together after your friends arrive. —Annada Rathi
- 8 medium roma tomatoes diced into 1/2" pieces
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peeled, grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 3 teaspoons red chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 pieces of Naan bread
- 1 cup tomato chutney
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- Toast fenugreek seeds in a dry skillet for 5-10 minutes. Grind them in a spice blender once cool.
- Pour oil in a large - about 3 quart -, thick-bottomed pot and tune the heat to medium. Add cumin and mustard seeds. Once the seeds stop their popping and dancing, put turmeric powder, diced tomatoes, ginger and garlic.
- Turn the heat down to low and let cook. Keep an eye and stir intermittently to avoid sticking to the pot. In about 30-35 minutes, tomatoes will start secreting oil.
- Mix red chile powder, salt, tamarind paste, cumin and fenugreek powder into the tomato mixture. Stir well and let cook for 15 minutes. On cooling down, store this chutney in a dry, glass bottle. Stays well in the fridge for 3 weeks.
- Just before serving, pre-heat oven at 300 degrees. Put naan pieces in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Take out the naan pieces before they become toasty and spread cream cheese generously and tomato chutney. Cut into 2" x 2" pieces and serve to a crowd. (After spreading chutney and cutting into pieces, taste and decide if like a heavy layer of the chutney or a light one and adjust accordingly.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Appetizer to Share with Friends