Author Notes: I found this recipe many years ago in Gourmet magazine. Since then, I have changed some things and made it my own. It is unbelievably simple and people ask for it again and again, so it shows up at our holiday table as well as weeknight dinner. My kids will even eat it sometimes :) —SaucyRedhead
tablespoons Butter or Olive Oil (or combination)
Medium Shallots, Thinly Julienned
Cloves of Garlic, Thinly Julienned
ounces Frozen Peas
ounces Baby Spinach
cups Vegetable Stock or Water
Salt and Pepper to Taste
tablespoon Butter (optional)
- Slowly caramelize Shallots and Garlic in Butter/Olive Oil.
- Add frozen peas and toss to coat. Lightly season.
- Add spinach, and toss to cover with peas. Lightly season.
- Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of stock, cover and simmer until spinach is wilted and peas are softened, but still vibrant.
- Check seasoning and finish with a knob of butter, if so desired (and why wouldn't you?).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You're Most Proud Of