This recipe combines spinach, artichokes, parmesan, and ricotta with pasta shells and tomato sauce for a rich, delicious meal. This recipe was inspired by the spinach artichoke lasagna from Cookie & Kate.
This recipe combines spinach, artichokes, parmesan, and ricotta with pasta shells and tomato sauce for a rich, delicious meal. This recipe was inspired by the spinach artichoke lasagna from Cookie & Kate.—Emily Wilson
large uncooked pasta shells
teaspoons salt, divided
tablespoons olive oil, divided
cloves garlic, minced
small yellow onion, diced
cups baby spinach
ounces can artichokes, drained
ounces ricotta cheese
ounces can diced tomatoes
cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C)
- Bring the water to a boil in a large sauce pan. Add the pasta shells and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Boil, following package directions till al dente (6 minutes for my shells). Drain and run under cold water to stop cooking.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a frying pan. When oil is hot, add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Then add the onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the onions and sauté till spinach is wilted (about one minute).
- Add the spinach onion mixture, artichokes, and ricotta to a food processor and pulse till all ingredients are combined. Avoid making it a paste - keep ingredients chunky.
- Pour the diced tomatoes into an 11"x7" pan (or other baking pan). Add the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil and stir to combine.
- Stuff each shell with 2 tablespoons of spinach artichoke mixture and nestle them into the tomato layer in the pan. Fill at least 16 shells.
- Sprinkle half the parmesan cheese on top of the shells.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove aluminum foil, raise the temperature to 425 F (220 C) and bake for another 10 minutes to crisp the top of the shells.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the rest of the parmesan cheese on top. Serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator up to two days.
- Garnish with basil leaves before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Parmesan