If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by a side dish I ate at a food cart. It took a few variations to get the dressing right, but is is the perfect dinner on a warm night and a great lunch the next day. —Alexandra V. Jones
Food52 Review: WHO: Alexandra V. Jones lives, cooks, writes, and loves beer in Portland, Oregon.
WHAT: A food cart-inspired cabbage slaw with steak (a.k.a. our new go-to summer dinner).
HOW: Marinate steak in a fish saucy dressing before grilling it; toss a salad of cabbage, carrots, chilis, sprouts, peanuts, and mint (and more!) in more of the same dressing, then top with the thinly sliced grilled steak.
WHY WE LOVE IT: This salad is simple, fresh, and easy to assemble once all of the ingredients are prepared. It's definitely worth seeking out palm sugar and fried shallots, which were easy to find at our local international grocery store (you could also make them yourself, as Food52's Test Kitchen Chef did!). Taste the dressing before marinating the steak, then add lime juice, cilantro, and mint as you see fit. —The Editors
Serves 4 to 6
- 1/4 cup good-quality fish sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave, honey, or simple syrup made with palm sugar (most authentic)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 pound lean steak or protein preference
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup bean sprouts [Editors' note: Other sprouts work well, too!]
- 1 red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 Thai chili or serrano chili sliced thin
- 1 handful of roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 handful of roughly chopped mint
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup crispy fried shallots (available at Asian markets) or you can use the French-fried onions that you put on green bean casserole if you don't have access to an international market
- A few edible flowers (optional)
- Whisk together dressing ingredients. Use 1/3 of it to marinate protein of choice, set protein aside.
- Place cabbage, carrots, sprouts, red pepper, half of the herbs, and chilis in a large bowl, combine with remaining dressing.
- Grill or broil your steak, and set aside to rest.
- Top salad with peanuts, shallots, the the rest of herbs, and place thinly sliced steak over the top and add a flower if desired.
- Your Best Shaved Salad Contest Winner!