If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In the deep heat of summer, I like to wake up and sit with my coffee in an un-air-conditioned house. I open the windows to hear the cicadas humming and the sprinkler watering the garden. The city has yet to stir. If it’s not too unbearable yet, I go out into the yard, toting the cat and my hot, too hot coffee. We sit under the umbrella and bake slowly as the sun rises over the trees. This is the moment when buttery, mustard-laced toast with the cool of yogurt-y, dilled cucumbers and the freshness of sliced, peppered Brandywines are the only, only savory summer thirst quencher I’m interested in. Paired alongside eggs prepared to your liking, settle in for a good sweat – while blessedly, internally impervious to the dog days of summer. —Mozart's Nose
Makes 1 cup of spread / 4-6 open faced sandwiches
For the spread
- 2 Persian cucumbers (or half an English), deseeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced (plus 1 T more for serving)
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled or minced from a block
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2-4 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- Dijon mustard
- salted butter
- country white bread, toasted, sliced
- crisp bacon (optional)
- Leaving the skin on, quarter lengthwise and deseed your cucumber(s) (this keeps the sauce from getting too watery).
- Then mince and add to a small mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients through the black pepper and combine thoroughly.
- Lightly toast your bread and then spread a thin layer of butter and mustard, followed by the tzatziki sauce. (Next : add optional bacon.)
- Top with sliced heirloom tomato.
- Grind some additonal black pepper over top and plate with additional minced dill garnish, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Tomato Showstopper