If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad is a perfect combination of ying and yang – cool and hot, spicy and not, crispy and soft textures – a beautiful symphony of flavors and a very satisfying vegetarian dish. Make it tonight – with LOVE – and all will be right in the world. —MaryFrancesCooks
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon dry mustard (Coleman's)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 4 ounces chopped kale leaves
- 1 cup farro, cooked
- 1 small butternut squash, cut in generous ½” squares
- 1 large onion, cut in ½” squares
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons spice rub (also great for pulled pork)
- 1 bunch organic broccoli
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted, salted cashews
- 4 thinly sliced radishes
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 2 wedges of lemon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- For the Spice Rub: Mix the paprika, garlic power, brown sugar, dry mustard, and salt together in a small bowl.
- Combine the squash and onions with the coconut oil and spice mix on a rimmed baking sheet. Toss all to combine and roast in the oven for 35 – 40 minutes until tender. Toss at the halfway point, at about the 20 minute mark.
- Meanwhile, cover the farro with about 3 inches of cold water. Salt with a little coarse sea salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 30 – 40 minutes. Taste test with a fork for tenderness. It should be a bit chewy. Strain in a fine mesh colander when done.
- Wash all the kale in a lettuce spinner, removing any large stems. Spread on a clean counter to air dry, then chill in a paper towel lined plastic bag in the refrigerator.
- Wash and peel stems of the broccoli. Cut each stem into 4 or 5 smaller stems and steam for about 10 minutes, until bright green and crisp tender. When done, remove the steamer of broccoli from the pot so it can air dry a bit.
- Wash and trim the radishes. Using a hand mandolin, slice into very thin slices. Coarsely chop the cashews.
- Everything should be done all around the same time, so now you’re ready to assemble! Line low flat bowls with the kale leaves. Place ¼ of the cooked farro in the middle, with the kale forming a ridge around the edge. Place a scoop of the butternut squash on top of the farro.
- Chop the steamed broccoli into 2” lengths, leaving the flowerets intact and place them around the edge of the farro. Tuck in sliced radishes in four places around the bowl.
- Place chopped cashews on top of the squash. Drizzle some olive oil on the kale edge of the bowl, and follow that with a squeeze of lemon juice around that same kale edge. Serve with LOVE, a Vouvray and enjoy!!!