If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It looks tricky to make but it really isn’t if you know the technique! Avocado and crab is a well known combination and I thought the buttery avocado would contrast well with the melon. The fragrant melon compliments the sweet salty taste of the shellfish and the kick of chilli adds another taste dimension. Serve as a starter.
N.B. I have successfully made a vegetarian version of this dish by using crumbled tofu in place of crab. —morning glory
- 1 avocado
- 60 grams white crab meat
- 1 finely chopped birds-eye chilli
- 2 teaspoons Greek style yoghurt or mayonnaise
- 1 piece watermelon
- lemon zest and juice
- salad leaves and dill to garnish
- olive oil and sweet chilli sauce to drizzle
- salt to taste
- Cut five or seven stars of watermelon for each plate, using a pastry cutter (odd numbers look better on plates). Set aside to chill.
- Mix the crabmeat, lemon zest, and chopped chilli, with just enough yoghurt or mayo to bind. Season with salt, to taste.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the stone and the skin. Cut each half lengthwise into thin slices (approx. 2mm). I use a mandolin.
- Lay the slices from one half, slightly overlapping on a large square of cling-film.
- Place half the crab mixture on the avocado slices. Use the clingfilm to roll it away from you and form a roulade. Keep rolling the roulade away from you, whilst gripping the ends of the clingfilm so that they twist and the roulade becomes firm and encased in the clingfilm.
- Repeat the process with the other avocado half .Chill the roulades (encased in cling-film) until ready to serve
- When ready to serve, unwrap the roulades and then gently press some dill fronds onto their surface. Drizzle lemon juice over.
- Arrange the roulades, salad leaves and fennel fronds on the plates. Drizzle the leaves with olive oil and a little lemon juice.
- Decorate the plate with the watermelon stars and a drizzle of sweet sweet chilli sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with a Smarty Pants Trick or Technique