Author Notes: Stuffed mushrooms never go out of style, especially when filled with creamy goat cheese, salty pancetta, and chives. They are one of those appetizers that is equally suited to casual get-togethers and fancier dinner parties. The filling can be made two days in advance and refrigerated until needed. Make as many mushrooms as needed, and use the extra filling as a spread on your morning bagel, in a sandwich or wrap. —Spoonwithme
Makes: 40 mushrooms
ounces cream cheese or neufchatel cheese, left at room temperature for 30 minutes to soften
ounces goat cheese, left at room temperature for 30 minutes to soften
ounces thinly sliced pancetta
cup minced shallots
cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon
tablespoons minced fresh chives, divided
pounds crimini mushrooms
cup panko breadcrumbs
olive oil or canola oil for spraying the mushroom tops
- Wash and season the Mushrooms: Pour some salt into your hand. Wet each mushroom, and rub it in the salt to remove the dirt (this also seasons the mushrooms). Rinse and dry the mushrooms, then remove to a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the pancetta until golden (about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side--the pancetta will crisp up as it cools). Remove to paper towels. When cool, crumble the pancetta and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the shallots in the pancetta drippings until softened (about 3 minutes). Add garlic and cook for another minute. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and goat cheese until smooth. Add the crumbled pancetta, shallots and garlic, chives, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- In a different bowl, stir together the panko, 1 tablespoon minced chives, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Using a spoon, generously fill each mushroom cap with the goat cheese mixture. Dip the top of each mushroom in the panko mixture, and then put back on the baking sheet. Lightly spray or brush the mushroom tops with olive oil or canola oil.
- Bake the mushrooms in a 400? oven for 12-18 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown