- Prep time 25 minutes
- serves 4 to 8
Can you spot the surprise star of this salad? It's not the dressing so good you could drink it (but you could), and it's not The Great British Bake Off winner Nadiya Hussain's brilliant trick for making the whole thing ahead (but you could). It is an ingredient that will make your salads easier, greener, and more delicious—and we've been throwing it away for too long.
As Nadiya writes in Time to Eat: Delicious Meals for Busy Lives, “I only recently discovered through the powers of social media that you can eat a kiwi with the skin on! I mean, why didn’t I think of that? We eat peaches with their fuzzy skin and don’t bat an eyelid, even if the sensation is that of licking a Russian Blue cat! Kiwis are a great balance of tart and sweet with the added pop of the little black crunchy seeds that make it much more than a lunchbox snack. This is a welcome change from a potato salad at a barbecue.”
A few more tips: Kiwis and cucumbers can handle pretty much whatever amount of dressing you throw at them without getting weighed down, but you can also feel free to throw in extra ingredients if you’d like to stretch the dressing further: raw zucchini, ripe tomatoes, whatever you like. Nadiya would want you to have fun and make this your own.
Recipe adapted very slightly from Time to Eat: Delicious Meals for Busy Lives (Clarkson Potter, November 2020).
This post contains products independently chosen (and loved) by our editors and writers. As an Amazon Associate, Food52 earns an affiliate commission on qualifying purchases of the products we link to.
Hear more about this recipe from Nadiya herself, on our podcast The Genius Recipe Tapes.
Helpful tools for this recipe:
- Microplane Zester
- Five Two Essential Kitchen Knives
- Citrus Juicer
extra-virgin olive oil
freshly squeezed lemon juice
garlic clove, finely grated
red onion, peeled and finely diced
kiwis, firm and not overripe, ends trimmed, chopped into chunks, skins and all
large cucumber, seedless or seeded
feta, crumbled or roughly chopped
handful fresh dill, finely chopped
black sesame seeds
- Start by making the dressing in the bottom of a large serving bowl. (This saves on washing up if nothing else.) Add the oil, lemon juice, honey, garlic, za’atar, and tahini and mix.
- Add the onion and mix really well. The onion will soften as it sits in the dressing. Add the kiwi.
- To prepare the cucumber, slice lengthwise and remove the seeds using a small spoon. Cut into long strips and then into cubes. Add to the bowl. Add the feta on top and sprinkle with the chopped dill and sesame seeds.
- Don’t mix the salad till you are ready to serve, or everything will wilt and go weird. To make it ahead, pop it in the fridge, covered, until it’s time to serve.