Author Notes: It was my turn to make a green vegeatble dish for Thanksgiving this year and I have always wanted to make this for a crowd. This is so rich and decadently delicious. Not a healthy choice, but it really hits the spot. The garlic and sour cream really make the dish. —ADRIENE
9 oz. bags baby spinach
garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
yellow onion (small dice)
ounces parmesan shredded
cups half & half
cup sour cream
teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt & pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water up to a boil. Blanch the spinach in at least 4 batches and shock in ice water. Drain and squeeze out all of the excess water.
- Get a large pot on the stove and melt the butter on medium heat. Add in the diced onion and cook for 15 minutes, until caramelized.
- Add the sliced garlic cloves and pepper flakes, cook for a few minutes.
- Add the flour and stir until well combined.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and half and half. Keep flames low and continue to whisk until it thickens up and comes to a boil.
- Add the cheese and whisk together. Now add the spinach and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the seasonings are adjusted turn off the flame and add in the sour cream. Enjoy!