If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Every year I do a Meatless March which has led me to try all sorts of dishes I would not normally make. Some end up in the regular rotation. As this dish was praised by all members of the family, happens to be vegan, and is easy and cheap to make, it has since made a quarterly appearance. —savorthis
Serves 4 (with a side salad)
Tempeh and Onions
- 12 ounces pineapple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 block regular (or 5 grain) tempeh, sliced into 1/4" strips
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- Mix juice, spices and soy in a small pot and bring to a boil. Lay tempeh slices flat in a shallow dish and pour 2/3 marinade to cover. Allow to marinade at least 30 minutes, but better for a couple hours.
- Add salt, vinegar, sugar, onion and jalapeno to remaining marinade and boil for 3 minutes. Cool, then refrigerate until ready to use.
- 1 poblano
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 8 corn tortillas
- cashew cream (optional)*
- Heat grill. Char poblano, peel and slice. Heat tortillas over grill until softened and beginning to brown in places. Remove to a plate.
- Mix avocado with lime juice and salt to taste.
- Grill tempeh on both sides a few minutes each until you get some nice grill marks, basting once with the marinade.
- Spread avocado on half of each tortilla. Top with tempeh, pickled onions and jalapenos, cilantro, poblanos and cream (can use crema or sour cream if you don't need it to be vegan, but the cashew cream is surprisingly good!)
- * TO MAKE CASHEW CREAM: - Pour boiling water over 1/2 cup raw cashews and let sit about 30 minutes. - Scoop out cashews into blender and add enough water to blend to a thick paste - Add 2 t lime or lemon juice, 3/4 t nutritional yeast and salt to taste
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.