There are so many great conversations on the Hotline -- it's hard to choose a favorite. But we'll be doing it, once a week, to spread the wealth of our community's knowledge -- and to keep the conversation going.
Today: It's the weekend -- put your feet up and grab a snack.
There are countless reasons why weekends are great -- sleeping in, brunch, lounge pants, binge-watching House of Cards, and also, snacking. Whether you plan to spend the entire 48 hours lounging in slippers, doing crossword puzzles, or jetting out of town for a mini getaway, having an array of nibbles within an arm's reach is always an important weekend tactic -- no one should go hungry on their days off.
Andrea Young is skipping town this weekend and is on the hunt for "something fabulous" to pack up and snack on all weekend. She's looking for something salty and savory to offset the already planned array of sweat treats her friends are bringing. As always, our community had some great ideas to share:
- Sam1148 likes to munch on homemade Bulgogi Jerky, which he kicks up with a bit of Sriracha sauce.
- There were more than a few shout-outs for snack mix. Drbabs and Sam1148 are both fans. It’s salty, addictive, and can be made without a recipe.
More: Wash down your snacks with a Gin Spritz -- it's the weekend after all.
- Who says granola needs to be sweet? Aargersi suggests whipping up a batch of Nicholas Day’s Walnut-Rosemary Savory Granola. It’s great tossed into yogurt as well as eaten by the handful.
- CarlaCooks suggests baking up a batch of savory biscotti. A few flavor combinations she likes are black pepper and Parmesan, mustard and cheddar, and brown butter and sage.
- Sarah's a fan of Deb Perelman's recipe for salty, buttery Cheese Straws, which makes a large enough batch to get you to Monday.
What snacks do you stash for the weekend? Tell us in the comments or join in the conversation over on the Hotline!
Granola photo by Mark Weinberg, all other photos by James Ransom