If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Ketchup: It's not just for meatloaf and French fries anymore.
Could there be a condiment more divisive than ketchup? After asking our editors, our Hotline, and our Facebook followers, we can safely say that no, there is not. Our community members' relationships with ketchup are extreme in both directions. When we raised our ketchup queries—How do you eat ketchup? Do you enjoy it in any "weird" ways?—we were met with both enormous enthusiasm ("by the spoonful") and with horror ("I don't").
And so: After much yuck-ing and yum-ing, here are 7 ideas from our community for cooking with and eating ketchup:
- Make a dip for French fries, potato chips, or grilled cheese: Mix it with mayonnaise, horseradish, or with a hot sauce like Sriracha—or any combination of these things—and dunk away.
- Swirl it into yogurt or cottage cheese. It was Nixon's favorite snack! Take from that what you will.
- Eggs love ketchup and ketchup loves eggs. Put it on fried eggs, scrambled eggs, frittatas, or egg sandwiches.
- Replace your other favorite red sauce by tossing ketchup with buttered pasta (or pouring over macaroni and cheese or fried rice).
- Put ketchup out with the maple syrup and try it on French toast or pancakes. (Or make a savory French toast!).
- Ketchup is not a vegetable, but serve it with them. Try it with broccoli, sauerkraut, corn kernels, beans, or chickpeas. It also adds depth to vegetable or lentil soup.
- Make a sandwich: The people love "ketchup sandwiches"—a thick smear of ketchup between slices of plain white bread (or, similarly, between saltine crackers). Level up by adding pickles to the equation, mixing it with tuna, or making a liverwurst and cream cheese sandwich with a good squirt of ketchup.
Photo by Alex Farnum
What's your stance on ketchup? Give us your best and worst ketchup habits, snacks, and ideas in the comments.