If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
We paired up with All-Clad to invite chefs from around the country to cook with us in our test kitchen. Today, Chris Hastings, chef of Birmingham, Alabama's Hot and Hot Fish Club, revamps tuna niçoise with their d5 collection.
Take what you know about tuna niçoise and forget it. Okay, okay—don't completely eradicate it from your mind, but we have something better. And it has preserved lemon.
Meet Tuna with a Soft Egg, Lemon, and Capers: A more composed, brighter version of the French salad. Watch as Chris Hastings, executive chef and co-owner of Hot and Hot Fish Club in Birmingham turns the classic on its head by soft-boiling eggs, frying (frying!) capers, and replacing the salad's standard anchovy dressing with a preserved lemon vinaigrette. It's time for a tuna-up.
For the soft-boiled eggs, fried capers, croutons, and tuna seasoning
- Oil, for frying
- Lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 10 grams white pepper, crushed finely
- 5 grams dehydrated lemon zest
- 5 grams dried oregano
- 2 grams Piment d' Espelette
For the preserved lemon vinaigrette, tuna, and to finish:
- 4 preserved lemons, preferably Meyer lemons
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 3 teaspoons chopped chives
- 3 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 3 teaspoons minced shallot
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Tuna loin
- Pea tendrils, sliced radish, and Piment d' Espelette, to serve
Video by Kyle Orosz