If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
I'm not going to lie. I was always kind of skeptical of mail-order food gifts.
I'd see the catalogues come in and wonder how things stayed good, or how on earth people could receive slabs of perfectly marbled steaks by post. It wasn't until my first year of college, when a box of two dozen pears arrived in my mailbox, that I truly changed my mind. I ate at least a dozen of them with a spoon, and spent the rest of my finals week in a pear-filled dream state, munching on them during exams and sneaking them with chocolate in the library.
Since then, I've slowly been trying to expand my repertoire of mail-order food presents. And clearly, many members of our community are too: Years ago Michele Ludmer asked the Hotline for recommendations for a good mail-order food gift and the discussion gets revived year after year. Here are some of your favorite ideas:
- Lloreen's in the same boat as I am! A box of pears—like from Harry & David—never disappoints.
- LLStone and inpatskitchen both agree that Zingerman's has never let them down.
- Hardlikearmour loves Olympia Provisions for their unique, handmade salamis.
- TheFritschKitchen loved a package of fresh cinnamon and a cinnamon grater that her mother-in-law sent.
- SMSF recommends Nueskes for their delicious smoked bacon and hams. Luvcookbooks also recommends ordering some of their kringle to have on hand during the holiday season.
- According to Nancy, you can't go wrong with fresh nuts, especially from the South.
- Marcena stands by the goods from Great Alaska Seafood.
- If you're planning on sending meats, Pegeen recommends looking to either Niman Ranch or Omaha Steaks.
- Matthew loves a basket of delicious dried fruits and snacks from Bella Viva Orchards.
- We're a tad bit biased, but we're fans of all of the great food gifts available in our Shop, too.
Do you have a favorite food to send at the holidays? Tell us about it in the comments below!