If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Sure I love bacon. But I was getting tired of the endless bacon posts a couple of years ago. Bacon in chocolate, caramelized bacon, bacon candy, bacon sundaes. Bacon, bacon, bacon… I was over it. [Editors' note: Food52 is guilty as charged.]
But then I caught myself imagining what I would do with bacon in a dessert. I mean, if I were going to pander by participating in a trend that was surely (finally?) on the wane.
It was March at the time and I was having my own personal little March Meringue Madness, experimenting with a million ways to flavor meringue. So why not bacon?
Here is my contribution to the bacon bonanza, which seems NOT to be going away any time soon after all.
Bacon meringues are delicious. And why wouldn’t they be? There’s bacon in them!
- Scant 2/3 cup (85 grams) crumbled crispy cooked bacon, cooled (see headnote)
- Scant 2/3 cup (60 grams) toasted pecans, chopped medium fine
- 3 ounces milk chocolate, cut in 1/3- inch squares (or 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips), optional
- 2/3 cup (133 grams) sugar, divided
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar