If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
For some, a tub of sour cream will go untended in a dark corner of the refrigerator for months; for others, wrote Windischgirl on a Hotline thread about what do with a bulk-sized container of sour cream, it's a food group. Whoever you are, and whatever your fermented dairy habits are, there's surely been a point where you've wondered what to do with the creamy dregs of a tub of sour cream.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Toss with any fruit and sprinkle with a little brown sugar.
- Or whip a bit of sour cream into whipped cream for tangier, brighter whipped cream.
- Spoon onto tacos.
- Especially scrambled egg tacos.
- Whisk together a creamy, tangy dressing, like this one. Add as many chopped herbs as you've got.
- Or make an especially thick tzatziki-like sauce (for falafel or just for dipping) by folding in chopped cucumber, herbs, and a bit of lemon juice.
- Dollop into polenta or oatmeal, savory or sweet.
- Use in any dough or batter where you'd otherwise use yogurt. These sour cream rolls are tender and clean out other parts of your pantry, too (see: mashed potatoes, barley flour, wheat germ).
- Add it to a marinade, chicken tikka-style.
- Make a sour cream frosting for a cake (or to stash in the back of the fridge and eat quietly by the spoonful when no one else is around).
What do you turn to when you just want to finish up the tub? Tell us in the comments.