In amanda's description of the inspiration behind her recipe for beet greens, she mentions that she was raised with the mantra "thrifty in the kitchen, generous at the table". This meal embodies that ideal just about perfectly. Cod is usually inexpensive, and makes for a nice blank slate for flavorful accents like kalamata olives and tangy capers, while the leafy greens are made just a little bit extra delectable with a lightly creamy dressing. Healthy and comforting, this meal is everything a weeknight supper should be.
4 medium red potatoes 1 pound cod 6 kalamata olives fresh basil beet greens (from 2 bunches beets) 1/2 cup sour cream
We assume you already have garlic, olive oil, dried oregano, canned (or fresh!) tomatoes, capers, salt, pepper, cider vinegar, and sugar. If not, you'll need those too!
1. The beet greens need just a simple saute, so you'll want to tackle the fish first -- begin by roasting the potatoes.
2. While they roast, prep the remaining elements of the dish (tomatoes, etc.) as the recipe directs.
3. After the potatoes have been in the oven for 20 minutes, you'll make a spot in the pan for the fish, and let it all finish roasting together.
4. Beet green time! Saute them while the fish finishes up, and you should have a lovely hot meal in no time at all!
5. Sit down, relax and eat up. Generosity at the table, indeed!
A New Way to Dinner, co-authored by Food52's founders Amanda Hesser and Merrill Stubbs, is an indispensable playbook for stress-free meal-planning (hint: cook foundational dishes on the weekend and mix and match ‘em through the week).
I love Champagne and cheese and potato chips. In fact, that would be the most dreamtastic dinner. I have two cats and I am a proud Portlander-by-birth currently residing on Manhattan's rich and wonderful Lower East Side in a closet that has no closets. In May I finished up a masters degree in Food Studies at NYU and now I am trying to figure out exactly why I did that and what that all means. It is very fun and scary but mostly fun. I like to cook and I love to bake.