🔕 🔔

Does anyone else find bay leaf disagreeable? My wife says that it is one of the milder spices, but I think it overpowers everything. She lo

asked by MarcusV almost 6 years ago

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

i was just having this conversation with someone. i think bay is one of those flavors that can get out of control really fast; there is a huge difference between one bay leaf and two. once there is too much of it, i agree that it stops being pleasant, but in the right amount, i think works because it's hard to discern.

the flavor can also build up and get to be too much for me. a local ice cream shop makes a bay laurel ice cream, and i enjoy a taste or two of it, but i can't imagine eating a whole scoop.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

My husband hates bay leaf, too (among other things............), so much so that I don't cook with it at all anymore. I wonder if it's one of those things like cilantro that tastes different to different people.

Just to note, there is a difference between Turkish Bay Leaves and California, which are twice as strong. Try buying her some Turkish ones for a stocking stuffer this holiday and see if that agrees with you more. Penzey's is a great mail order source for spices.

For me, I like whole bay leaves in moderation, for soups especially, but don't care much to use it as a ground herb/spice.

3e8aec12 01d0 432e a6a4 5963bb36f5b2  fb avatar

Thanks for the distinction between the two. I didn't know that. And thanks for the Christmas gift idea. Much better than dropping a bunch of hints and then throwing a fit like I did last time ((((((ashaaaamed))))))

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I agree with everyone. Bay gets out of control pretty quickly. And even though I have a California bay just outside my window, I stock Turkish leaves as well. I never grind it.

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

I love bay leaves! Yes, you do need to be careful and not add too many. I use freshly picked leaves from my windowsill plant. Not sure what variety it is though...

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I, too, agree with all the responses. I do notice a stronger, slightly more pronounced flavor with fresh bay leaves rather than dried. I always use one large bay leaf in my stews but recall adding two once and noticing that thestew was off in flavor. I thought two bay leaves were too much, and I do like the flavor but I guess subtle as an underlying flavor. I never grinded my bay leaves, fyi.

I remember being taught (by whom is anyone's guess) to remove bay leaf before serving so I never grind it either.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Fresh bay leaf has a "greener" rounder flavor that is wonderful sauteed--completely different from the sharp spiciness of the dry leaf. I use the fresh leaf for pilaf, chili, sauteed w/onions & garlic.