This is probably a very tired, way-too-often asked question - but ...

For my office potluck, I am looking for a "main dish" that's not pasta-centric and that can be prepared the night before and then cooked (either via crockpot or oven - we have an oven at work) that morning. There will be a lot of food, so if there's enough for 12, that'll work. Thanks in advance.

asked by DebJ about 8 years ago

Valser

Crockpot dishes that I can think of off the top of my head are: Chili (great in a crockpot) beef stew, any kind of hearty soup, chicken with 40 cloves of garlic (just double most standard recipes)

SweetTea

Chicken and dumplings. You can make it the night before, toss it into your crock-pot and the next day take it to work and plug it in. I know, it is really simply and not the prettiest presentation but it has the advantage being easy and will be thoroughly enjoy it. Seriously. I've served this at bring-a-plate to all sorts different people and I've never had leftovers.

Ophelia

My co-workers often swedish meatballs and allow them to heat in a crockpot until lunch, also chili, nacho cheese (eew), and Pho broth (with all the inclusions to the side to add yourself), but not as often.
I almost always bring pie.

One of my co-workers recently brought in home-made stromboli and everyone ate it like it was their last meal.

askann

Pulled pork!

DebJ

Great ideas, everyone. Thanks so much. Gives me something to chew on (pun intended).

allie

Try - http://www.food52.com/recipes...

wonderful at room temp.

Bevi

Julia Child's ratatouille is so delicious, and actually improves in flavor with an overnight in the refrigerator. You can easily heat it up on the stove top. Double the recipe for 12 servings. There is a PDF of her original recipe online.

Bevi

Julia's Ratatouille

lastnightsdinner

I'm a big fan of savory bread puddings for this type of thing, as well as saucy meatballs (either in a tomato-based sauce or a rich mushroom sauce). The suggestions above sound great, too!

Kayb

Carbonnades a la flamande. http://kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com/2009/02/28/read-the-recipe-thoroughly-first-dummy-or-beef-onion-beer-stew-on-a-snowy-day/
You can make it the night before, toss it all in the crock pot, and let it simmer all morning. Also, if you have a few minutes in the kitchen before lunch, you can up some egg noodles really quickly to serve it over.

DebJ

More good ideas. Can't thank you all enough.

Kitchen Butterfly

I'd say orange-flavoured couscous with dried fruit and nuts. Cook couscous as you would normally. Then remove from heat and add toasted flaked almonds, toasted and roughly crushed cumin and coriander seeds, orange zest and orange juice, dried mint, dried fruit (I love dried cherries and currants). Toss together and let sit overnight in fridge - you can add some chopped chicken if you like. Next morning, warm up, add some more fresh orange (not from a bottle). To serve, have a bowl of chopped coriander/cilantro leaves and chopped parsley

NakedBeet

What about a paella that you can just reheat the next day?

nutcakes

I do a nice black bean turkey chilli that keeps well. You can reheat it in a crockpot. It is low cal but very flavorful from spices, coffee, cocoa, chiles and vinegar. If you are interested let me know. You can serve it in little bowls, or coffee mugs, even heat proof disposables. I made it recently for a lunch for 25 and got quite a lot of compliments.

You can also cook a layered chicken enchilada casserole dish with either red or green sauce and just reheat.