A question about a recipe: Ann Seranne's Rib Roast of Beef

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Ann Seranne's Rib Roast of Beef" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Preheat the oven to 500 degrees." I have just purchased a Breville countertop convection oven, the newest/best model. Do you think it will work for this recipe? I don't have a regular oven right now

875786c1 6fea 4948 9c7d 5a1c0fe97483  food52 12 13 11 2956
Recipe question for: Ann Seranne's Rib Roast of Beef

Kristen Miglore December 18, 2011

Maybe, but I'd be concerned about a few things: 1) That the heating element would be too close to the surface of the roast (even for a small roast) and would cook it unevenly 2) That the countertop oven might not be well-insulated and hold onto its heat well -- which is a requirement of this cooking method. It's an expensive cut of meat, so I'd only try it if you're confident in how insulated and evenly heated your oven is -- sorry!

bmallorca
bmallorca December 18, 2011

Thanks Kristen, those are the issues I am wondering about too. I have only used the oven twice, and don't have the feel for how it operates at all. Maybe I'll try it for just two of us and see how it goes. Or go cook it at someone else's kitchen! I LOVE the Genius Recipes column. Thanks!

Kristen Miglore December 18, 2011

What a perfect excuse to use someone else's kitchen (who's going to say no to prime rib showing up at their house?). And thanks -- so glad you're enjoying the column!