A question about a recipe: Canneles

4a6cce6e cc0d 11e5 8e0d 3c15c2d2bb38  37 full

I tried to make the Canneles with copper molds. I must have overcooked them or something, because now I can't get them clean on the inside. I tried soaking in hot water, an electric tootbrush, nonscratch sponges, and bon ami. The burnt on sugar stuff just won't come off. How do I get them clean? I want to try again, is beeswax the key? HELP PLEASE!

asked by Lehnhoca almost 7 years ago

I might try filling the molds partway with water and then put them in a hot oven to loosen the sugar. Good luck!

dymnyno

I think that, indeed, beeswax is the key. It coats the copper and makes it sort of, almost, not quite nonstick. Be sure and let the beeswax set before pouring the batter into the molds. The wax is also a key flavor of the canneles. I'm curious about which recipe you used. A couple years ago I went on a search for the perfect cannele and tried about 15 different recipes.

Lehnhoca

I used the recipe from La Brea. The funny thing about it is that I tried the recipe 6 months ago and used a funky teflon mini cupcake pan I had and they turned out really good. Then I invested in these expensive copper molds and they turned out pretty bad. Yesterday I went to Sur la Table and bought a silicone mold that has metallic bits in it to conduct heat. I guess I'll try that next. I skimmed a very long thread on Chowhound about Canneles, it seems like everyone is trying to figure out what should be a simple recipe. What recipe worked best for you?

I don't know if this is effective with burnt sugar, but my mom cleaned her copper pots with vinegar and kosher salt. Maybe first loosen it with very hot/boiling water as Merrill suggested, then try that?