A question about a recipe: Banana Oat Bread

I have a question about the ingredient "white whole wheat flour" on the recipe "Banana Oat Bread" from healthierkitchen.

C5eb1398 75e0 4d5e 9f07 ea1e4931d707  banana bread 003
Recipe question for: Banana Oat Bread

mrslarkin December 23, 2011

Hi FoodieFara. I love white whole wheat flour. I think this recipe would work well with a sub of whole wheat and all-purpose flour. Let us know if you try it.

mrslarkin December 23, 2011

P.S. Use equal amounts of flour, like 3/4 cups all-purpose and 1/2 cup whole wheat, or a similar combination. But definitely throw in some all-purpose flour. Sometimes using all whole wheat four can be rather heavy.

nutcakes
nutcakes December 23, 2011

If you are wondering where to get 'white whole wheat flour', I have seen it in the King Arthur Catalog (their brand) and at Trader Joe's (house brand.) If you can't get it, just use whole wheat flour. The white whole wheat is just more delicate type of whole wheat. You could mix regulal whole wheat with all purpose flour with good results for this recipe, I'd expect.

FoodieFara
FoodieFara December 23, 2011

Thank ya'll so much! I will use a combo of white and whole wheat. Let you know what happens!

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen December 23, 2011

Mrs. Larkin is correct - the whole wheat flour is a little heavier so that's why I like white wheat flour. I'm sure the mix will work and, I suspect, the regular whole wheat flour would be fine too. This recipe is very forgiving. White whole wheat flour is available in lots of markets now. Hope you like it!