Just received some pears from "Harry & David". How do you tell when they're ripe and ready to eat?

Seem to be very hard right now

asked by Chauncey almost 7 years ago

Lucky you! When they're ripe, they'll smell really fragrant, and when you press one gently with the pad of your finger, the flesh should give a little. Should only take a couple of days at room temp to ripen.

Sadassa_Ulna

Yes, you are lucky. We used to receive a box every winter and I can tell you they are delicious. Once they have ripened do put them in the fridge at that point - they can get overripe quickly too.