🔕 🔔

Dough for NY deli-style knishes

I plan to makes knishes tomorrow with a filling of potatoes, caramelized onions and homemade smoked salmon. I've found a huge variation of dough recipes online. Please help point to one that will yield a classic NY deli-style crust.

asked by jwlucas over 6 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I would totally trust Arthur Schwartz. Here's his recipe for knishes. http://www.cookstr.com...
Have fun!

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

With all respect to Arthur Schwartz I'll recommend the recipe in Claudia Roden's THE BOOK OF JEWISH FOOD. Also Gil Mark's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF JEWISH FOOD. Both books will give you an exhaustive history of the knish with it's origins in Russia and how it was adapted to the "bigness" that American treatment gives every ethnic food.
Coincidentally I was in New York at the beginning of the month and my hotel was immediately next door to Yonah Schimmel's Original Knishery.

5ba86c99 9458 4f29 aba0 0796577d2cea  jwl 001

Thanks you, both. I saw Claudia Rosen's recipe online and will hunt for Gil Makr. Between these great tips, I'm sure I can settle on one.