What are some interesting veggie sides for thanksgiving dinner?

asked by @pirategirljack about 8 years ago

Lizthechef

Roasted Brussell sprouts. Roll them onto a sheet pan, toss with olive oil and sea salt. Roast for 30 minutes at 375 degrees while you make the gravy and carve the turkey! They taste incredibly different, thankfully so, from the traditional boiled sprouts.

Check out this week's food52 contest theme! A virtual plethora of great ideas on veggie side dishes!

beyondcelery

Green beans, sautéed lightly in olive oil and tossed with toasted slivered almonds, dash cumin, dash nutmeg, dash salt, and about 1-2 tsp lemon juice.

Maple roasted carrots. Cut 1 lb. carrots into sticks and toss with 2 Tbls maple syrup, 1 Tbls olive oil, 1/8 tsp allspice, 1/2 tsp ground chipotle, and salt to taste. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet or pan. Bake at 425F about 20min or until carrots are tender.

Isn't that this weeks's contest? There are probably already 40 or 50 suggestions.

Lizthechef

mrslarkin and pierino are right on.

Mr_Vittles

Bacon Garlic Brussel sprouts are great. Cut bacon into lardons, render in pan, remove lardons, add some butter, saute the halved and cored sprouts, add emince of garlic, when garlic becomes toasted, add lardons and toss for a few minutes. Finish with salt and pepper. Serve hot.

ellenl

That cannot be a serious question.

There are 100 entries as of right now!! Maybe this is just a test of the new Holiday category system. ;)

Sami

Totally serious! I didn't know it was the contest-- I was at work away from the comp and was planning. Good suggestions, guys! Thanks!

happycao

you definitely have to take a look at this new design at the new york times.. they are doing a Veggie Thanksgiving and putting together some great recipes: http://www.nytimes.com...