FIRST LOOK AT AMANDA AND MERRILL'S NEW COOKBOOK! PRE-ORDER YOUR SIGNED COPY »
🔕 🔔

Yes! There was a thread about this very subject a while back. A good friend and excellent brewmaster gives me spent grains whenever I need some. They're outstanding in bread. One hint: be sure to bring them just to a boil before adding them to your dough. That kills off yeast spores that would otherwise WAY overproof your bread. Then rinse in cold water, drain, and off you go. I've used them often here: http://www.food52.com/recipes.... Use it in place of the 3 grains, in the same quantity. You'll very much enjoy baking with your grains, and have some good beer to boot. Lucky you!

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

Boulangere, I'm actually getting these grains before the yeast has been applied. My husband likes to add the yeast to the wort, after the grains have been removed. So the grains don't have yeast.

My problem so far is the opposite. I am struggling to get the dough to rise and struggling with a very gummy texture after baking.So far, I've only managed to make a half way decent foccacia.

I'd suggest working with something other than focaccia, which wants to be a slack though light-weight dough. Spent grains are heavy, and much better suited to a whole-grain formula. I don't doubt that you're having trouble getting it to rise. Focaccia typically uses a minuscule amount of yeast, given the long fermentation periods which compensate for it. Take at look at the Power Bread formula, and you'll see that it uses a sh**load of yeast for 2 loaves, albeit generously-sized ones. It takes that much to literally lift up a load of heavy ingredients. As well, get yourself an instant-read thermometer so you can take the temp of the bread at the dead center before removing it from the oven. It will take on a good "dark bake", which is good, but color can be very misleading. Don't take it out of the oven until it reaches 185 degrees in the center. Persevere! I know you can do this.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

Interesting question. Perhaps you could try developing some flatbread recipes instead, and see if they yield a successful crispy -chewy result.

They're wonderful in crackers. Thanks, Droplet; I've been thinking of posting a recipe.

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

There's an amazing "Lavosh" recipe in Anna Hansen's The Modern Pantry cookbook that employs any and all cooked grains you have on hand.

My own experience with this sort of thing is that the grains I was given from beer making were a bit dry and spent and were interruptive in my bread (I made yeasted & naturally started bread.)

How about turning them into porridge? or putting them in pancakes/muffins?

Boulangere, I do have a thermometer and lots of baking equipment- so that isn't an issue. All the loaves I made had been taken to 180 or higher. (I made three: one that was a yeasted boule, one that was a heavily yeasted boule (I tripled the yeast), and one that was soda bread). I also made a foccacia. Last night, I started again:

I added 1/4 cup of spent grains, (passed through my food processor but still wet) to a whole wheat Irish Soda bread recipe from Melissa Clark. It worked and I loved the way it tasted. Malty, but still cooked through. I upped the baking soda and kept the full amount of yogurt. It tasted lovely with KerryGold salted Irish butter. My beer making holiday house guests approved of it.

I also made crackers, using this recipe from 101 cookbooks that calls for cooked oatmeal. http://www.101cookbooks...
I subbed the spent grains, (still hot from my husband's brewing process) for the oatmeal. That worked very well, too. It was impossible to knead, so I ran it through my pasta machine instead. I used the ravioli cutter to make the crackers. I added a fair amount of Rosemary and Maldon salt. Tasted excellent and I'm saving them for New Year's Eve.

Pancakes are definitely a possibility, though I'll have to wait until tomorrow when my husband and his buds are making more beer. Porridge would taste great, but given that the grains are now almost 100% insoluble fiber, I'm thinking that it is not a good decision for the digestive tract. I had a bit of a stomach ache yesterday after trying so many breads/crackers with spent grains and I would not want to inflict that on anyone!

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

I've used them, too, with success. I just add about 1 cup of the grains to a normal recipe that yields 2 loaves of bread. Haven't made any in a while. I ended up freezing 1 cup portions of the grains for the purpose...
Have fun with it! hmmm, I feel a cheese beer soup with croutons made from the grains....

Shuna, is this the recipe? Looks like a good adaptation. I can't find a copy of Ana's book-- but I might give this a try:
http://foodieinberlin.com...

Wow, you have been busy, and all your creations sound wonderful. Melissa Clark's soda bread recipe is golden, and I imagine it was excellent with your grains. I'm looking forward to trying a cracker formula. Good on you! Most of all, it sounds like you're have a whole lot of fun.

I had to do something to reclaim the kitchen from the home brew nuts..! I'll post a cracker adaptation maybe next week when I get it a little better. I'm still playing around with the other grains in the recipe- I used whole wheat, but now I'm considering going a little lighter to give it a Wheat Thin like taste and appearance.

Chef Lydon's mention of pancakes and Helen's mention of beer cheese soup gave me the idea for maybe cheese fritters made out of the grains. Chemically leavened if yeast fails you here. They will probably be nice with beer, too.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

You could dry the grains so they could be ground. If they are sprouted, then you have a malted flour. Without yeast from the brewing it can be used to promote good rising in yeast breads.

Seriously, in terms of yeast, if you're going to use one, omit the other.