🔕 🔔

Sifter recommendations: I am baking more with whole grain flours and would like a good, easy to clean sifter. Ideas? (I know some people use a sieve -- maybe mine was too fine, but it was painfully slow when I tried.)

asked by allie almost 7 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Get a medium-sized mesh colander. Works like a charm.

I don't own a sifter. Honestly, sifting is not necessary. Just get your flour good and aerated with a whisk and then gently spoon the flour into your measuring cup (don't pack it), and level it off with the back of a knife or an offset spatula if you have one.

Even better would be to buy a kitchen scale and weigh your flour.

The only thing I sift occasionally is powdered sugar, and I use the medium mesh sieve for that too.

Good luck!

I think the best sifter is a regular wire strainer, or sieve. I've had all types of sifters and they are just so slow! The hand cranks on many of them don't work well and they are a pain to clean when you use cocoa or anthing other than white flour. That's my opinion, for what it's worth!

I also tend to think it's a waste -- but, my new favorite cookbook, good to the grain, keeps insisting on the importance of sifting, which is why I asked. Glad to see I am not the only one, but don't want hockey-puck whole grain baked goods,

I got that book for Christmas!! Can't wait to dig in. Looks like I might be sifting more than I want to!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

So if you sift whole grain flour, are you trying to eliminate bran and germ? I prefer some texture -- that's where the goodies lie as well as a lot of taste. (Yes, they can be finely ground, but why skip out on the nature of the stuff?)

Good to the Grain has you dump everything into the bowl, but using the sifting to eliminate lumps -- maybe I just try whisking and using my fingers to eliminate lumps and skip the pesky sifting??

I actuallly emailed the Good to the Grain author - she wrote back that she thinks whisking well should work. Joy!

Yay! I guess we're off the hook then!

Ditch the sifter. Go for a mesh strainer/sieve. Easy to clean, easy to store, a multi-tasker. If you want to make sure you get the extra "goodies" from your whole grains, go for a larger mesh, or a colander. All the sifters I've had hurt my hands to work (either crank or squeeze) and are a major PITA to clean. Strainers/sieves/colanders are cheap, easily available, and can go in the dishwasher.